If you are wanting a laid back, ldyllic tropical vacation where the beaches are untouched, the locals super-friendly, and the water crystal clean, the Cook Islands might be for you. This is a good choice for folks looking to truly get away, and for those who have already visited Tahiti or Hawaii and want more of that Polynesian experience.
Of the fifteen Cook Islands, two offer tourist accommodations — Rarotonga and Aitutaki — and pair up to make for a fun two-island itinerary. Air New Zealand offers service from LAX to Rarotonga.
While the majority of travelers to the Cooks are couples, there are several family friendly resorts.
Rarotonga is a volcanic-origin island about 20 miles around, with a clear lagoon and white sandy beaches. This is the main island in the Cooks, and the location of the international airport. Diving here is excellent.
- Crown Beach Resort (all ages)
- Manuia Beach Boutique Hotel (adults only)
- Rarotonga Beach Bungalows (adults only)
- Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa (family-friendly)
- Royale Takitumu Villas (adults only)
- Rumours of Romancs (adults only)
- Sokala Villas (adults only)
Aitutaki, an atoll island, is a South Pacific gem with a brilliant blue lagoon. The setting here is laid back and unspoiled Polynesia. This island was recently highlighted on the popular Survivor series. Aitutaki is about an hour’s flight from Rarotonga.
- Pacific Resort Aitutaki (all ages)
- Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa (all ages)
- Tamanu Beach Hotel (adults only)
- Etu Moana (adults only)
~Cindy Grant, Travel Consultant ReconnectTravel.com 972-625-6200