If you are entertaining the idea of getting away for a week, here are some suggestions:
- Cancun Mexico — offering all-inclusive resorts in the moderate to luxury range. This destination is more suited for adults, but there are still some family friendly options in the Hotel Zone for all price points. If you haven’t been to Cancun in the last decade, the biggest changes are the addition of some top-of-the-line luxury resorts.
- Riviera Maya Mexico — still reigns top destination in terms of the quality of the resorts and the best “bang for the buck” in the upscale and luxury all-inclusive market. There are resorts here that range in size from tiny boutique to huge mega-campus. Plus, you can’t beat the short and frequent flights from the US.
- Jamaica — Stay in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, or Negril. There are a number of all inclusive resorts from moderate to luxury. You can also find adults only all inclusives perfect for a girlfriend group or for a romantic couple escape.
- Punta Cana – located in the Dominican Republic. There are several huge all inclusive resorts that are destinations in their own right. Enjoy powdery white sand and swaying palm trees.
- Tahiti — this is actually Tahiti’s low season and their summer. So if Bora Bora is on your bucket list, maybe this is the year you get to go! If you are looking to travel within the next 3 months, having some flexibility on travel dates, island, and resort will help (since space does book up early, especially with the overwater bungalows in the 5 star resorts). This is an ideal second honeymoon suggestion.
- Hawaii — A nice mix of luau, plumeria in the air, and beachfront walks can do wonders to alleviate the winter doldrums. Maui is a favorite “first visit” island but you’ll need a car rental. If you want to avoid driving, Oahu is best. Kauai is a little more adventurous (and by that, I mean more outdoorsy stuff to do). Big Island is where you get to see the active volcano. Stick to one island unless you have at least 8 days’ vacation.
- Cabo, Mexico — Cabo is quite popular in the winter. The weather is milder (in the summer, it can get hot), and is the season for whale watching. Cabo is also known for golfing and nightlife. New on the scene are some exceptional 4 and 5 star all-inclusive resorts, including the new adults-only Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort. A great choice for adults wanting a little luxury and to replenishment, and there are also some good family friendly choices too.
- Caribbean Cruise — opt for shorter 3-5 day cruises to Bahamas (or to Mexico from Galveston) or a 7 day cruise to multiple Caribbean islands. And if you have the time, there are longer (10-14 day) cruise choices too. Sail from Florida (Port Canaveral, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa), Galveston Texas, New Orleans, and San Juan Puerto Rico. And there are some great last minute deals if your dates are flexible.