Whether you are a seasoned, advanced scuba diver or a newbie looking to try it out for the first time, a dive vacation can be a great option for your next getaway.
- Cozumel – located just off Mexico’s Yucatan coast, the island of Cozumel lets you experience world famous Palancar Reef with drift dives of all experience levels. Great snorkeling opportunities as well. Accommodations range from economy to upscale, but with no true luxury resorts on the island. All-inclusive options available.
- Grand Caymans – located in the Caribbean, and easy striking distance from the US. Known for great wall diving as well as wreck dives. A total of 365 dive sites covering all experience levels. Incredible visibility and beach quality, too. Accommodations from economy to luxury. A few all-inclusive options, but most hotels & resorts with no or limited meal plans.
- Bonaire – if you are an advanced diver and are going with a dive buddy, this is a great choice. Located in the Caribbean and part of the ABC Islands (south, close to Venezuela). Simple two and three star accommodations along with a pickup truck rental and you are good to go. Many DIY beach dives for the independent-minded.
- Belize – Famous for Ambergris Cay and the Great Blue Hole. Dive options more suited for the intermediate and advanced diver. Try “Shark Ray Alley” for a highlight of your trip. Fly into Belize City, with regional flight service to San Pedro. Accommodations range from simple, 2 stars to upscale. Nothing here is all-inclusive.
- Galapagos – for the true dive enthusiast, a Galapagos live onboard dive ship experience to see whales, sharks, and other marine wildlife. Strong currents in the area means you should be a good swimmer and advanced diver.
- Fiji – dive a little, dive a lot. Fiji is gorgeous above the water as well as below. This destination is perfect for honeymooners and families. Those in the travel party who are not divers can find plenty to keep them content back at the resort. Dive opportunities for all levels. Accommodations range from 3 star moderate to 5 star luxury. Meal plans available.
- Australia – Great Barrier Reef is the ultimate in diving experience. Allow a minimum of 2 weeks to enjoy your diving, plus add some land sightseeing to round out your stay. Live onboard ships or dive-centric resorts. Accommodations range from 2 star economy to 5 star luxury.
- Rangiroa, French Polynesia – this atoll island is known for their huge lagoon teeming with tropical fish and clear waters. The most awesome experience here, though is “shooting the pass.” Ride the tide at Tiputa or Avatoru Pass, and see rays, reef sharks, tuna, barracuda, and maybe even hammerhead sharks. You can experience this either by diving or by snorkeling. Stay at Kia Ora Resort, which is upscale to luxury. Breakfast & dinner meal plan included.
Happy travels! Cindy Grant, travel consultant with Expert Family Travel (located in Frisco/The Colony in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex, Texas). Contact at 972-625-6200 or email@example.com.